Over-Seeding in Fall to Fill Bare Spots, and Thicken Your Turf For Fall
Due to the stress of summer, your now brown, dormant grass is probably struggling to re-establish itself among the crowd of weeds that has taken charge of your lawn. As the turf cools down in Fall, weeds begin to find even more favorable conditions make their control your landscape for Fall. Here is a quick rundown of Lawn Overseeding Methods, why it is important, when is the best time to apply Grass Seed, and some information on Grass Seed types for an effective Lawn Care & maintenance plan. Don’t forget to contact us and ask about our Fall only Seed special for just $89!
New Lawn Seeding & Overseeding Methods
Laying down Grass Seed to rejuvenate your Lawn can be done by hand or with machines. We’ve provided a basic overview of the most common over-seeding methods and notes on their effectiveness.
- Spreading by Hand: While using the old left and rights is a very cost-effective procedure, it can produce uneven results due to the lack of spread control. Using a rake afterwards can help the seed to make soil contact, but this method is less useful than machines that force the seed into the soil.
- Using a Broadcast Spreader: This method would likely produce the most even results as spreaders are inherently pretty accurate with spread ratios, even more than machines in some cases. The same restriction for deep soil contact that exists for hand spreading would be a downfall of this method.
- Using a Gas Powered Seeding Machine: This method is by far the most effective for planting new lawns, or overseeding existing grass areas. These machines dig “slices” or use “Matting Plugs” to allow the seed to be placed into the soil at various levels for proper soil contact.
Why is Fall the Best Time to Seed Your Lawn?
There are some conflicting ideas on the best time to introduce any type of plant into your lawn or garden. When discussing topics like “when should I seed my lawn“, it is important to do your own research as well. Generally temperature is the most important factor in plant success. It bears importance to remember that grass essentially is a plant by all means of classification. Here are some reasons why many believe that Fall is the best time for laying down seeds for the growing season.
- Cooler Temperatures: The air is just cool enough to allow moisture to be retained in soil. The soil is actually still warm enough to ignite germination very rapidly
- Root Strength: Strong roots will help you grass thrive through the tough Winter and allow for the greenest lawn in Spring, earlier than most other lawns. Fall conditions are overall the best for root growth
- Less Thatch: Using mechanical seeding thatch is broken up and soil is exposed for seed to receive sunlight and water.
- Weed Control: New grass growth will out-compete weeds. This allows the desired grass seed to flourish with less competition.
September Only Seeding Special
Get a great deal on Lawn Over-Seeding Services in Madison, Westbrook, Clinton, Guilford, or Old Saybrook. For the month of September get any size lawn over-seeded for just $49! We use a professional landscapers blend with 100% Perennial Ryegrass, for fast cover within days, 0% Weed Matter guaranteed. Just click the “Book Now” button below. Ends September 30th and not combinable with other specials. You can book Lawn Seed Services online with no deposit. Or call (860) 222-7171 to speak with our friendly staff. Check out or other deals for Fall Lawn Care Services here.