Seeding for Lawn Care in Madison CT
Due to the stress of summer, your grass is probably thinning out like the hair of a future Rogaine Hair client. As the turf thins out, weeds begin to find new escape routes from their summer hideouts and make their way into your landscape for Fall. Here is a quick rundown of Lawn Overseeding Methods, why it is important, when is the best time to apply Grass Seed, and some information on Grass Seed types for Lawn Care in Madison CT. Dont forget to scroll down for our September only special for just $125!
Lawn Overseeding Methods
Laying down Grass Seed to rejuvenate your Lawn can be done by hand or with machines. We’ve provided a basic overview of the most common overseeding methods and notes on their effectiveness.
- Spreading by Hand: While using the old left and rights is a very cost-effective procedure, it can produce uneven results due to the lack of spread control. Using a rake afterwards can help the seed to make soil contact, but this method is less useful than machines that force the seed into the soil.
- Using a Broadcast Spreader: This method would likely produce the most even results as spreaders are inherently pretty accurate with spread ratios, even more than machines in some cases. The same restriction for deep soil contact that exists for hand spreading would be a downfall of this method.
- Using a Gas Powered Seeding Machine: This method is by far the most effective for planting new lawns, or overseeding existing grass areas. These machines dig “slices” or use “Matting Plugs” to allow the seed to be placed into the soil at various levels for proper soil contact.
Why is September the Best Time to Overseed?
There are some conflicting ideas on the best time to introduce any type of plant into your lawn or garden. When discussing topics like these about Lawn Care in Madison CT, it is important to do your own research as well. Generally temperature is the most important factor in plant success. It bears importance to remember that grass essentially is a plant by all means of classification. Here are some reasons why many believe that Early Fall is the best time for laying down seeds for the next growing season.
- Cooler Temperatures: The air is just cooling enough to allow moisture to be retained in soil. The soil is actually still warm enough to ignite germination very rapidly
- Root Strength: Strong roots will help you grass thrive through the tough winter and bear fruit next spring earlier than most other lawns. Fall conditions are overall the best for root growth
- No Thatch: Generally this time of year conditions have made it so most thatched material is a distant memory. During Spring winter thatch creates a soil covering barrier that makes seed propagation much more difficult.
- Weed Control: A well maintained lawn should have most if not all weeds in check by this time of the year. This is why most Fall Fertilizers don’t include weed control. This allows the desired grass seed to flourish with less competition.
September Only Seeding Special
Get a great deal on Lawn Overseeding Services in Madison, Guilford, or Old Saybrook. For the moth of September get any size lawn overseeded for just $125! We use a professional landscapers blend with Annual Ryegrass for fast cover within days, 0% Weed Matter, and various perennial grasses for year after year growth. Just click the picture above or the schedule now button below. You can book you Seed Service online with no deposit. Or call (860) 222.7171 to speak with our friendly staff. Check out or other deals for Lawn Care in Madison CT here.